Home » Loved or Loathed?

Loved or Loathed?

This is a just-unveiled bridge in Calgary. It crosses the Bow river and it’s causing division amongst Calgarians, some of whom object to its $24.5 million dollar price tag. Do you love it or loath it? VoCA wants to know!

1837872.jpg

1837122.jpg

Click HERE for the full article from the Vancouver Sun.

Ps. It’s by the world renowned architect Santiago Calatrava.

8 Responses to “Loved or Loathed?”

1. Eric says:

I’m not a Calgarian, but I like the looks of it. I also love that pedestrians and cyclists get their own dedicated paths inside.

2. JD says:

Wow!! Calgary, you would be so lucky to live with that as part of your environment.

That’s not all – check out Saucier + Perrotte architects concept for the Canada Music Centre at the King Eddy hotel in Calgary:

4. David Spence says:

The Bow flows through the east-west length of the city including the north side of the downtown. At what point across the Bow is the bridge to be built…..into the zoo, onto Princess Island, or somewhere on the eastern/wetern outskirts of the city? Also what are the approaches to the bridge, and what will they look like? The bridge itself is only an architectual dream or innovation. Without information of the full ‘context’ of the surrounding environment as part of the bridge, how can one truly love or even loathe the reality?

That’s a great point, DS. Peace Bridge Calgary, who is on Twitter, says: “I’ll be located west of Princess Island Park! I am working on my new website so I can share more details!”

6. Markashley says:

Catwalks and pedestrian bridges are often championed as great modes in urban design but often end up being used quite differently than their intended purpose. Scarborough has a few.

7. Melinda Hunt says:

I an artist/designer originally from Calgary, living and working in New York City. In my mind, that bridge is pure Sym City. It does not bring peace to my mind.

8. loralea says:

I am a full time artist – honestly a structure of this magnitude should be enhancing the landscape – the red seems to overpower and it really looks like NY or LA