Home » Nuit Blanche Toronto 2010: Your Thoughts?

Nuit Blanche Toronto 2010: Your Thoughts?

Did you go to Toronto’s “All Night Contemporary Art Thing” – Nuit Blanche this year?
What did you think – Did you LOVE it or LOATHE it?

Fujiko Nakaya’s fog installation at philosopher’s walk at Nuit Blanche 2006. Image: topleftpixel.com

The organizers blocked of Yonge Street – was this a good thing?

How did the art fare? Better or worse than last year?

What were your favorite installations? Least favorite?

Let us know – Nuit Blanche will only improve if we generate a discussion on what worked, and what didn’t.

Please comment below!

10 Responses to “Nuit Blanche Toronto 2010: Your Thoughts?”

I’ve heard that Yonge Street was a mob scene, that the Dundas Square piece was not great, that the lineups for the Bay subway station were huge…but that Sarah Roboyo Sheridan’s piece at Ryerson was really quite good…and Dave Dyment’s piece too.

2. Fraser says:

I’m afraid to say Nuit Blanche is ruined every year by its attendees. I can take a great deal of people thinking dumbly out loud for anyone to hear, but NB has become for many an all night party where art takes no priority over drugs, alcohol and general raucousness. There’s kind of a modern dandyism to it too with so many people in costumes for no reason.
    I heard about people kicked out of a certain 401 richmond gallery for snorting coke in the gallery, people vomiting on their doorstep, etc.

I feel the kind of artwork people make for NB, particularly the public installations is a mix between technology, design and spectacle – catered to the window-shopping attendees who try to see as much as possible without lingering at any piece. Lots is pretty (a spinning carved- out van) or provocative (inflatable clown heads in an alleyway) but ultimately enters the territory of total bullshit, and the exhibition statements only testify to that fact.

The artists can hardly be blamed, though, nor the organizers because it is all well-intentioned. It is the format of cramming so much art into one night and many using it as an excuse to party that is NB’s downfall.

Positively, it’s great to see the David Hoffos show at MOCCA, and I really liked Wait Until You See This, an installation that finds meaning in the act of waiting in line.

I accidentally slept through my alarm and didn’t make it out to anything! But, during my shift at Speed Art Criticism out in Roncesvalles from 4:00 to 7:00 a.m., about seven people stopped by, which surprised us since we were a bit off the beaten track and it was so late. Two people brought in some art for us to look at, which we thought was pretty good, but the rest just wanted to engage in a conversation about art and what they’d seen earlier in the evening. Knowing that there are people at Nuit Blanche who actually want to engage with the work and talk about it lifted my spirits.

The Hoffos show at the MOCCA is wonderful!

4. Matt L says:

I was going to comment, but then I saw Fraser’s and I agree with him.
    Although it was still fun.
    The ‘Human Clock’ thing was one of my favorites.
    And there were definitely a lot of drunk people on Queen.

5. Leah Sandals says:

Thanks for the link, Andrea! It’s been interesting to read all the different reviews that are out there!

6. sally says:

I think it would be great if Torontonians started thinking about a model more like the Munster Sculpture Project. It’s on all summer. It happens once every 7 years. A bunch of the works are permanent, so that you see stuff from previous years mixed in with the current show. You can look at the art on your own time, at your own speed. People come from all over the world. You can still have a crazy big street-closing party for the opening.

I like Nuit Blanche though. As far as I’m concerned, drunken people carousing with artworks is a good thing. And my impression is that the crowd is plenty curious and engaged. In fact, they’re downright demanding in a “Hey art, what have you done for me lately?” kind of way. Go audience! It’s a tonic.

7. Nicholas Brown says:

What Sally said

8. Amber says:

There were two great exhibitions which were far out of the way and well worth the trek on foot to get there – 400 Jarvis for the Peggy Baker dance studio and 382 Queen East for three Iranian short films. I found both ahead of time on the website for Nuit Blanche and made a point of going to see them. They made my night!

9. Nika B says:

I did go this year, while the last year I skipped it. I’m not a fan of crowds, yet I gotta admit that the majority of the crowd was quite positive. Dundas square was not bad. I stayed there for quite a while. But the sections around it could’ve been much more interesting, if the guys, honouring Kraftwerk were actually moving, not just sitting there, and if the dance music on the other side of Dundas square wasn’t there just for the advertisement of cars. Corporate mentality in a night like this totally pisses me off. But, I did go with the right crowd and hit the right places. Although getting to and from is the major pain in the ars and I never stayed in the lines.