Home » The New “IT” Curators…

The New “IT” Curators…

A friend of VoCA recently drew my attention to this article in the Independent.

So-called “It” curator Vladimir Restoin-Roitfeld. Image: iwanttobeariotfeld.com

The It curators: A new breed of young socialites are selling art is about the likes of Vladimir Restoin-Roitfeld, son of French Vogue editor and eternally glamorous woman Carine Riotfeld, Vito Schnabel (son of Julian) and Tyrone Wood (son of Ronnie) becoming the new, super-well-connected art curators.

Vito Schnabel. Image: rdujour.com

I have to admit the article made me a little sick, if ultimately resigned to the fact that art is the new fashion. What do you think?

Read it HERE

7 Responses to “The New “IT” Curators…”

1. K.I.A. says:

well… at least they aren’t considered “It” artists.

2. K.I.A. says:

…although creation, curation and consumption all seem to have equal weight now anyway.

3. JB says:

The jealousy is killing me. I want to be an aristocrat too!!

4. ChrisToronto says:

Are good looks also part of the job description? Maybe young Vito can write a screenplay about his fabulous life called Being Schnabel.

5. Lonne Mowers says:

It always comes as a bit of a shock when one is reminded that outside of Canada, much of the art world is actually market-driven. Still, I don’t see these young curators as different from Saatchi, Warhol, Hirst, Koons, and yes, Schnabel senior, in that they want to become wealthy, hang out with the wealthy and involve themselves in art that rich people like. Like it or not, money is part of the art world.

6. Nicholas Brown says:

I don’t think this signals anything new. Privileged kids are obtaining privileged positions in a privileged sphere. Same shit different day.

7. Rory says:

At the end of the day… “IT” is about the art, not the curator. Haha!